Preview The Book: Historical Trivia: Hunterdon
In Hunterdon County, New Jersey...
Lambertville is the birthplace of James Marshall who, with
John Sutter, started the Gold Rush of 1849 when they found gold in a sawmill
race in California.
The first day-old baby chicks were shipped from Joseph
Wilson's chicken hatchery in Stockton.
Sixty-four freight carloads of peaches were shipped from
Sergeantsville in 1882.
The last covered bridge in New Jersey stands on the Ringoes-Rosemont
Road between Sergeantsville and Rosemont.
Frenchtown was named for Paul Henri Mallet-Prevost, a French
speaker, who bought 893 acres there in 1794. Prevost was actually Swiss and the
village should have been called Swisstown.
Poultry farming was a major industry and chicken theft was a
serious problem. In the 1920's farmers began tattooing chickens, the Hunterdon
equivalent of branding cattle.
Chet Huntley, in addition to co-anchoring the NBC Nightly News
in the 1960s, was a poultry farmer in Hunterdon County.
The hub of the surrounding agricultural and industrial
centers, fifty-four trains a day stopped in Flemington in 1889.
A Lambertville rubber manufacturer advertised "snag
proof" boots in colonial days.